Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

- French Toast with Apple-Maple-Fig Spread -

I should confess, I'm all for eating breakfast for dinner. I think some people have written religions against it, but I'm not about to let that stop me! I see no reason to deprive yourself of any type of yumminess because of the name of the meal or the time of day you eat it at... no reason! 

To those who believe it is just wrong to partake of breakfast for dinner, I implore you: prolong this terrible sadness in your life no more! Let yourself go... fall into thick butter, juicy bacon, and mile high pancakes. Your life does not have to be this depressing, you can enjoy a life full of happiness and freedom if you just break your own vows and place before you at the evening meal a plate of French Toast with Apple-Maple-Fig Spread. This is my plea to you sad folk!

But please, don't let this make you think that you can't have this French Toast for breakfast either. Oh no, anytime of the day, my friends... anytime.

So why the drama? Well, I'm kind of in love, and I can't help myself. I should write a poetic song about this dish, it may be the only way to express my passions.


See? What'd I tell you? Am I right, or am I right. 



Fig Spread: a can't beat.



And it's perfect with bacon. But I will torture you no further with photos of fatty deliciousness. Here's how you make it. =)

French Toast with Apple-Maple-Fig Spread

Ingredients:
1 loaf of French Bread cut into 1 inch slices
3 cups of Milk
2 large dashes of Vanilla
5 Eggs
1/2 cup of Apple Sauce
2 T. Maple Syrup (the real stuff now)
2 T. Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Fig Jam (mine was labeled as fig spread)
1 apple, sliced thinly (optional)

Directions:

In bowl whisk together milk, vanilla, and eggs. Pour into a 9x13 dish. Heat a flat nonstick pan over a medium/low heat. Drop as many slices as will fit on the pan into the eggs mixture. Soak the bread for a second or two on each side. Place on pan and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes or until cooked all the way through. Continue this with all the sliced until you have cooked up the entire loaf.

Meanwhile, while you work with the bread, whisk together in small saucepan over a medium heat the apple sauce, maple syrup, brown sugar, fig jam, until warm and all the lumps from the jam are gone and everything is mixed together well.

Place the cooked french toast slices on a large plate. Spread or drizzle the apple-maple-fig spread over each slice. Cover each slice with the apple slices as a festive option. Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment