Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

- Tomato Sauces -

Confession: The other day my Mom made a huge pot of pizza sauce to freeze, and when no one was looking I just stood over the pot gulping down the sauce by the spoonful.

I know a few people who hate tomatoes. This is quite the tragedy, and someone would do well to put it in a play. Do any of YOU reading this not like tomatoes? If so, please reconsider, I beg you. I don't believe I would be so in love with food if it weren't for this delicious fruit. Tomatoes are one of the most versatile ingredients. You can put them on a salad, you can roast them, you can can them, you can eat them, you can crush them, you can turn them into a paste, you can turn them into a sauce, you can dry them. The possibilities are endless.


When I was a little girl I would sometimes wake up in the mornings and smell tomato sauce for spaghetti wafting upstairs in all its red, tomato, garlic, herby, meaty, goodness. It's one of the best things to wake up to. I loved coming downstairs to the kitchen all lit up and my Mom in her apron at the stove top, stirring the sauce. And did I mention it smelled good?

I'll give you a tip on how to make amazing spaghetti sauce! You roast all the vegetables first for good flavor and then you blend then in a food processor, and then with a submersion blender to cream it up nicely. That's the sort I couldn't stop eating. 


-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment